Rev. Camille Bradley
The youth group at Mullins United Methodist Church is a junior and senior high school covenant community designed for maximum discipleship and servant leadership. We meet every Sunday afternoon from 4 pm to 6 pm for United Methodist Youth Fellowship, nick-named the Huddle. We use this time for fun, food, planning and growing as disciples in Christ. Our primary focus is on Biblical texts, topics, and the Wesleyan means of grace. We use a discussion or debate format utilizing the Bible, prepared studies, videos, internet and current events so that our lives are informed and guided by our faith.
With a strong focus on servant leadership, we are involved in local, national, and international missions and projects, including a trip in July 2016 to Costa Rica partnering with Rice & Beans International. The youth group also loves serving their Church as ushers, greeters, liturgists, and volunteers for special events and community outreach.
Every Wednesday after church-wide dinner, we gather from 6:15 to 7:15 pm for mid-week “SoulCheck,” a youth-style version of answering the Wesleyan question: “How is it with your soul.” After a brief devo reflection, each person is given the opportunity to share confidentially and without interruption (it’s a goal!) how they may have felt separated from God and how they have experienced God during their week. We offer individual prayer concerns and praises and covenant together to pray for and support each other throughout the week.
The youth group elects annually, a Youth Council, including youth officers and adult member/advisors according to The Book of Discipline (¶256.3a) which states that “the coordinator of youth ministries [Rev. Camille Bradley] and the youth council, when organized, shall be responsible for recommending [or reporting] to the church council activities, program emphases, and settings for youth. The coordinator and council shall use available resources and means to inform youth concerning the Youth Service Fund… .” As well as:
• Evaluation of youth ministry programming, considering growth, depth and vitality
• Coordination and scheduling of all youth events
• Publicity and dissemination of information for youth ministry activities
• Representation on the church council
• Implementation of special youth-led events and projects for the congregation, such as worship experiences and fundraisers
• Supervision of designated ongoing activities
• Cooperation with the committee on lay leadership to designate youth representation for various church boards and committees